Friday, February 20, 2009

Top Ten Quotes from "Pride and Prejudice"







#10 - I could easily forgive his pride, if he had not mortified mine. - Elizabeth about Darcy, Chapter 5.

#9 - Vanity and pride are different things, though the words are often used synonymously. A person may be proud without being vain. Pride relates more to our opinion of ourselves, vanity to what we would have others think of us. - Mary Bennett, Chapter 5.

#8 - "Nothing is more deceitful," said Darcy, "than the appearance of humility. It is often only carelessness of opinion, and sometimes an indirect boast." - Chapter 10.

#7 - You expect me to account for opinions which you choose to call mine, but which I have never acknowledged. - Darcy to Elizabeth, Chapter 10.

#6 - Laugh as much as you choose, but you will not laugh me out of my opinion. - Jane Bennett, Chapter 17.

#5 - The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of merit or sense. -Elizabeth, Chapter 24.


#4 - You are mistaken, Mr. Darcy, if you suppose that the mode of your declaration affected me in any other way, than as it spared me the concern which I might have felt in refusing you, had you behaved in a more gentleman-like manner. - Elizabeth to Darcy after he accuses her of only refusing his hand in marriage because of the way he proposed, Chapter 35.

#3 - Neither duty, nor honour, nor gratitude ... have any possible claim on me. - Elizabeth to Lady Catherine de Bourgh, Chapter 56.

#2 - You are too generous to trifle with me. If your feelings are still what they were last April, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes are unchanged, but one word from you will silence me on this subject for ever. - Darcy to Elizabeth, Chapter 58.

#1 - I cannot fix on the hour, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun. - Darcy to Elizabeth who asked him to to account for having fallen in love with her, Chapter 60.

No comments:

Post a Comment